Monday, April 6, 2009

It's been a while, but finally...an update!

I'm sorry I haven't updated this in so long. Also, there still are no photos because my computer went funky and I need a larger hard drive before I can so much as touch my photos, which are all just on an external harddrive.

Anyhow...Poland...the weather in Krakow has finally warmed up. It is beautiful, the grass is green, trees budding, and tons of outdoor little market shops are now out on the Rynek. Tourists are EVERYWHERE and I feel very satisfied knowing I know how to not get ripped off and where to find cheap real pierogi, some cool places to go and so on. Then again, I feel like there is a ton of the city to see that I haven't explored yet because it's just been too damn cold.

Last week I traveled up to the Baltics, stopping in Vilnius, Lithuania, then up to Riga, Latvia, then on to Tallinn, Estonia. The weather ended up being beautiful and the farther north we went, the sunnier it got. I tried local beers, got to meet up with a friend I'd met at camp in 2004 in Hungary, met up with someone who had been in Krakow last semester in Riga, and walked a ridiculous amount all over Tallinn in the one real day we had there. The Baltic Sea was really nice, though freezing cold. I took a ton of photos, so when I can get them up....or if I can, I will.

What else...I turned 21 a few weeks ago. So did another guy from America on my program, so we had a combined Mexican themed party at some friends' flat. We even found Corona beers here, but they were from Spain...I miss good Mexican food. And sushi. And steak. Mmmmm.

Classes aren't so challenging still. I imagine we'll get slammed with papers and so on right at the end, but until then, not so much of anything minus Yiddish homework, which I'm not even getting credit for, but eh, I'm learning something.

On Friday morning I head out early to the airport and I'm going back to Mount Holyoke for 10 days to visit people, say gbye to seniors, and hang out since it's Easter break in Poland. I'm incredibly excited about that.

Nothing else is new really...life in general is fine. Krakow feels more like a home-ish type place after traveling around, since I actually know more or less where I am sort of going...well, way moreso than up in the Baltics. And I have my own bed here, which is nice...no more hostel beds. Yay. And a computer. I missed mine. I'm sort of unhealthily attached to mine, but now that the weather is nice, i might be headed to the outdoors to sit, drink coffee, and read when it's warm and sunny and I can people watch all the tourists and locals like a good anthropologist.

Hope you are all well! Write me if I haven't heard from you in a while or if you just want to say hello: ossip20h@mtholyoke.edu

No comments:

Post a Comment